Pages

Saturday, February 1, 2014

A Time Machine memory

    
In another action project, the second one of this term, we find out more of our experiences and take you back in time with ease. The essential goal of this action project is to take the viewer back in time, to experience what we once did as well. How this is done is fairly simple, just use sensory details like adjectives and you'll be traveling back in no time. With vivid descriptions, any picture can be painted.


    My memory took place when I was a mere 5 year old infant. I was on vacation to visit my family in Brazil in 2004 winter (here in the United State). A pleasant trip that was then followed by deception and pain. It was quite a surprise to me about what happened however I won't discuss this here. There is going to be a copy of a detailed event accounting below. I just believe I should also include one more thing... that being how horrendous the waiting for flights were, three hours minimum each flight and practically nothing to do at all, but the flight itself did make the trips even more worth traveling to Brazil. Here's the direct copy of the time machine, enjoy.



A memory that takes me back a long way was when I traveled to Brazil on vacation but got bitten by a large, old, and sick dog. However, I suppose before I get into that, I should start back from the beginning. It was the year 2004, the same year that George W. Bush defeated John Kerry and won re-election for presidency. I was on vacation to Brazil because that’s where a majority of my family lives whereas only my brother, parents, uncle, and 2 cousins live here in Chicago. My family; which this time only included my brother and  father, were off to O’hare airport. Our schedule consisted of us going to Atlanta to then go to an airport in Sao Paulo, and then headed to Rio de Janeiro As we had very long waits for our flights, we were thrilled, ecstatic even, to be in the wonderful weather of Brazil. I’ve been to Brazil multiple times, but this trip is my earliest memory of it. I went there before but only when I was very young, around 2 years old or less.

Our plans were to visit as much family as we could, but that’s quite impossible due to the enormous size of the rest of my relatives. I think at the time I had two generations of cousins and 3 uncles along with 3 other aunts. The air was fresh and brisk, there was usually the great scent of backyard barbecues and the cities looked bright, tall, and fairly unique in architecture. After we arrived at Rio de Janeiro, we stocked up on supplies like toothpaste and other hygienic items. We also enjoy the sights like the Cristo Redentor and the amazing beaches. We were then picked up by our uncle and headed to Joao Monlevade, where we saw the majority of our family, about eight-teen cousins and all of my aunts and uncles. It was great to see my ever  expanding family for the first time that I could remember, even though it may not be the case chronologically. Our next city, which was in the same state in Brazil called Minas Gerais, was to  visit my grandmother in Belo Horizonte. This is where  that dog, a weimaraner, bit me. He was short haired, floppy-eared, and generally droopy dog.

The dog’s name was Bob and he was one of the two dogs my dad used to own, one of them, who was also a weimaraner, died, so there was only one left. The dog, Bob, had an accident in his youth where he was hit by a car and half blind, meaning he could only see out of one eye. During of the first few days of our visit, Bob was very docile, however his easygoing nature didn’t last too long. One afternoon I was in the kitchen just sitting there petting Bob, but then he suddenly and unexpectedly attacked. A blur of my own vision and a loud snarl later, he latched to my face and nearly hit my eye. Luckily for me and my young, frail, body, his bite only lasted a couple seconds, although it felt like minutes, especially when in the jaws of and such a large weimaraner. My feelings mixed between confusion of why he launched at me and fear for my head. I was instantly rushed to the hospital so my wound could be healed, the marks of injury were an inch below my eye and another inch above it. After that day, rather than have an encouraged fear of canis familiaris (scientific alias of dogs), I wanted to learn more about why would he attack me. Plus after those nine years, I think that there was a range of reasons, one being as an old, sick, dog, he might have just snapped, or maybe it was something primal. I was staring at him in the eyes, grinning, and near his food, so primal instincts could’ve made him feel threatened, however after that one instance, he never showed any harm again. My next visit, a few years after and Bob was back to being friendly. I suppose we’ll never know why he attacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment