Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

A New Dream, and this one tells a tale

Once again, another Action Project comes my way. This is the final project for my integrated class, that studies philosophy and is named Who Am I, as we try to figure out who we truly are based on our; beliefs, memory, doubts, and dreams. This time, we were assigned to create a dreamcatcher that resembles  what we experienced in our dream and what elements would have been caught if passing through one. The general question was “What are your dreams and fears for the future?” So in this sense, I thought of how I wanted to be an arts related expert that makes successful animations.


Original image; Dream Catcher VG

I have made a dream catcher that symbolizes several elements in my dream that appeared in sequence, like a television series, and in an abridged, parody like, fashion. There are several parts that represent different elements and refer to different parts of my personality. The center of my dreamcatcher represents the base of operations and where I stayed place during most of my dream. The other bindings represent the web of lies I was told (hence the focus upon the octagon sides which relates to how spiders have eight legs and make webs). Each bead represents a danger and an ally, red and orange being enemies or the giant deadly humanoids, and green being my soldiers. This would almost map out my dream and the paths that were taken by others in it throughout the dream. The frame made from pencils represents the animated like visuals I had during the dream and the abstract form of the web illustrate my creativity in general, despite the many already made and well known characters..

I could easily tell that my dream was heavily inspired of the new Japanese anime, Attack on Titan, because of the way it was constructed and it’s plot. The slight difference would be that the characters of that show were replaced with other very iconic characters from multiple franchises including several other japanese anime and popular companies like Nintendo, Sega, Konami, Kojima productions (as in Hideo Kojima), DC universe, Marvel comics, Hasbro, and many others. My dream featured a large cast of characters I thought were cool, ones that I generally liked (meaning that influence and opinion was a very large factor in this dream). I like to think that the id was influenced by what I recently watched and that the ego produced the imagery, simulating the scenario for my id. Now, the id is the inner child that keeps all the inappropriate ideas, or at least based on our perspective, while the ego keeps these thoughts at bay. What I think is that it was the sense of violence that the ego was simulating so the id would not act upon it in reality. My defenses wouldn’t have broken down, if I hadn’t had trusted the entity who had a bad reputation of a malevolent past.

However, there weren’t all upsides to this dream, as the battles went on, my allies grew weaker. Some had fallen others retreated, but if I fought sooner within the dream, then one of the greatest warriors wouldn’t have to sacrifice himself. I believed my dream to be a reflection of influence and how I enjoy to be around others, with heroes by my side, protecting the world from harm. Overall, there was one main lesson that I learned in the dream which would be; “Don’t trust those who have a bad reputation”,hmm, sounds like a bumper sticker.

No comments:

Post a Comment