Pages

Sunday, May 14, 2017

A Dozen Hours

The Humanities course Endurance rolled up with a new project. Dedicate your life to something for 12 whole hours... Wow, that's... Much easier than it sounds in my case. You see, I have much spare time, but instead of taking the easy route and choosing something that would make a loophole, I thought about being productive. After seeing David Blane pursue his own passion of his career, which was holding his breath for the longest anyone ever could (being the amazing magician that he is, this stunt was one of his greatest feats), I decided to stick to my realm of comfort and expertise. Art. I wanted to animate for twelve hours... And I've done that before too, which is why I actually found it challenging to expand upon the... well challenges of making art for 12 hours.

Considering how this animation project was intended for school, I thought about being more organized, so I made a storyboard for my animation. That lone took 2 fun hours and then I thought about animating for another 5 hours, but on that day, I only got in 3 for before growing tired of the character I was drawing. More specifically, the software I was using (Krita) was not meant for animation. That painting software restricted me to keyframing each and every frame. At the time, I didn't have the means to make layers for stills or moving parts, I had to make a new drawing each time, and considering my lacking attention span or at least my speed art habits, I wanted to move on. I managed to draw about 12 frames whilst trying to figure out just how exactly I would go about with the rest of my storyboard, which would have no doubt lasted at least 30 seconds. Mix that with the only option of making a new drawing each time, an estimated 8 frames per second, and that's... 240 drawings. So I went with someone I thought was a little bit more fun to draw.
A villain's strut.VG.2017

Sonic the Hedgehog​ is a beloved character from Sega, and one big part of my childhood. His rather splendid design was always exciting to draw, and I used my actual animation software, Tupi, to create the GIF you see below. 

Sonic Bouncing About.VG.2017

And this video right here was a documentation of my time spent, thanks for reading through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment