Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The Power of a Smile

The second Action Project for my Journalism class has come around the corner, and it's requiring us to create our own podcast like recording, ranging from 3-5 minutes in length. Initially, we choice an iconic voice from the 1900s (the 20th century) and expand upon certain ideas of why we think they're so popular. My decision was to show just how influential Robin Williams can be, and his rise to fame as well as moments in fame were most prevalent in the 20th Century. However it was difficulty isolating which audio clips would be most effective, since he works very well with visuals alongside his acting, but initially, I'm proud of the outcome of this little podcast. You can have a listen for yourself, and just underneath the SoundCloud is its transcript. Thanks for reading!


Transcript


[Robin Willaims as Genie from Aladdin]



[VG]



















[Robin Williams narrating a commercial for Apple’s iPad Air]

[VG]










[Williams]


[(Zelda) Willaims]

[Robin]

[Zelda]

[Robin]

[Zelda]

[Robin]



[VG]



















[RD narrating]




















THE END
•So tell me, when your life passed in front of your eyes, did you go “I’m not that interesting”?... I would’ve done mouth to mouth but I don’t find you that attractive.

-I bet that made you laugh a little bit, didn’t it?
And if you were angry at something before, you’re probably not as mad now, right? That’s the power of a smile.

*sentimental music kicks in*

-See, the thing is, a smile works wonders. Especially when you make someone smile. Robin Williams was a person who knew that well; he tried so hard to spread joy because he understood what miseries could come to an individual when they’re down and really felt like they just got hit hard. He actually dealt with many problems himself, so he knows from experience the kind of suffereing one can go through. His passion for only being an entertainer goes so far as turning down most opprotuinties to advertise something. As a matter of fact, when Disney used his voice to sell Aladdin merchandise, he was furious, stating, “I don’t want to sell stuff. It’s the one thing I won’t do.” And as an apology, Disney sent him a Picasso painting estimated to be around $1 million. Yet ironically, he has participated in 3 advertisements, one for the Apple iPad Air, where he goes on about unity, clearly spreading a well intented message, and here’s part of it. He never advertised something if he didn’t believe in the positivity or potential for a product.
*music fades*

•We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race.

-And the only other 2 times, in a more relatable situation, he advertised his absolutely favorite video game series on 2 occasions alongside his daughter, who he has named after the series. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure had a special deal online and the commercial featured a multiplayer session featuring Willaims and his daughter, should he loose, he shaves the beard, which was sold as unexpected based on Zelda Willaims’ reaction.
The next heartwarming advertisement boasts of the games ingenuity, but rather it refers to any hardships and challenges as a personal experience that Robin goes through for his very own royal destiny.

•The first time I saw you, I knew we’d be Linked forever. For you I’d travel to the four corners of the world, I faced adversity. I became a hero.

°Dad.

•I even saved your kingdom--

°Dad.

•Yes, Zelda?

°Are you mixing me up with The Princess again?...

•...Hard to say, you’re both pretty magical.

*a slow calming piano tune is played*

-Robin always wanted to make people laugh, and feel good. And for the most part, his roles in movies exemplified that, like in Patch Adams, or Mrs. Doubtfire. Willaims truly was an entertainer, whether it was utilizing stand up comedy or merely improvising in the recording studios or on set.

*the piano fades*

-And Robin wasn’t just loved by his audience, but the people he worked with too. His power to make people smile brings energy to any set he comes to, and many praise his uplifting nature that invites all to be at least a friend to him. But even so, you didn’t need to be right next to him for him to have an impact on your life… This story is one of a simple viewer’s, whose life was essentially saved by Robin’s impressively hilarious antics found. This is Suzanne’s story.


∆Growing up as an only child, in a very poor and severely abusive household –in the 70s and 80s– the only laughter and joy I experienced was when I was allowed to escape by watching my favorite television show: Mork & Mindy. I was particularly captivated and mesmorized by the then young actor potraying Mork, Robin Willaims. Whenever I watched his on-screen antics, I was able to forget my pain and fear and escape into each 30-minute comedic journey. Afterwards, I would gaze outside my bedroom window, wishing and hoping aliens really exsisted and ould some day whisk my away from my painful and lonely existence. I continued to seek solace, strength, and laughter through his numerous roles in what I consider to be the best feel-good movies of all time. Through his comedy, Robin taught me how to laugh and smile, chasing away the hurt, hopelessness, and helplessness I felt every day. I’m sure I’m not the only one who was saved by this comedic genius, and his death has left me feeling as if I lost my own chlidhood therapist and hero. Thank you Robin Williams, for being so instrumental and helping me to grow into the strong happy and sucessful woman I am today, and for bringing so much joy and laughter to the world. There will never be another, rest in peace, o’ captain, my captain.

-A smile has a lot of power, and Robin Willaims was one of the many sources in the world. But he was the only few who wanted others to smile more than him. His passing is unfortunate, but a legend lives on in all of our hearts.

Citations: Music use • First track, "Wind Waker - Title Theme", Koji Kondo, Nintendo, 2002-2003 • Second track, "Ocarina of Time - Title Theme", Koji Kondo, Nintendo, 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment